Saturday, June 14, 2008

I'm Walking on Greenscreen! The Filming of Happy Tears in Philadelphia.

May 28th 2008.

This movie stars Parker Posey (Superman Returns), Demi Moore, and Rip Torn (Men In Black). And it's been filming in town for a few weeks. The casting office booked me for today, and that finds me down at the Old Naval Yards at Philly's southern edge.

The Naval Yards are almost a movie studio of it's own. The long-emptied warehouses are utilized often by production companies. Sets, art dept, wardobe dept, equipment storage. "Invincible" utilized it. I did my first costume fitting for "The Village" here. And the movie "Annapolis" shot here, doubling for the real Annapolis, Maryland.

There's about forty extras here today, all dressed in black for a 'cocktail party.' Signed in, and grabbed a table in the far corner of the holding tent. A few hundred feet down the warehouse, they were filming a scene on an indoor set. That set being the interior of a plane cabin. We had to be silent when picture was up, else we get picked up by the microphone, and ruin the take.

I don't want to give away the scene, but it did involve Parker Posey, and a greenscreen carpet I was standing on, looking at an imaginary eyeline of something (or someone...) who wasn't there. It's cool to get to work in a special effects shot. I'm walking on greenscreen!

We sat in holding for hours before they needed us on the set. I had brought a little tv with me, to watch the season finale of "Lost", which I was dying to see. Yes I am a admitted Lost junkie. I was able to watch all the way through until the last two minutes. Just as they're about to reveal a long awaited secret, we got called to set, and I missed the pivotal moment!

Wefilmed the scene throughout the night from different angles. Parker Posey would crochet on a pattern fabric in between takes, and my feet were starting to feel sore. Doubly so for the ladies who were in high heels.

It's 4am. Things are starting to blur over. Almost 12 hours in. I'm pretty done for. Tired. Pained feet. The hallmarks of an extra. It didn't last much longer for me. I went back to holding and soon was part of a group wrapped.

That is a wrap!

No comments: