Sunday, June 1, 2008

How Did I Get Started?

On the set, when I meet new colleagues, I like to ask them occasionally what their first project was. Or how they got into the extra biz. Occasionally, I get the question from others, how do I be an extra. So I thought I might tell how I began, and how others do too. I need to do a better job of remembering that I too had no idea of how it worked when I wanted to begin, and I hope this helps someone else get started. Eight years ago, not only did I not know where to begin, I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to begin.

I had assumed through high school that I would naturally get into acting, as I had a hope for it. In the summer of 2000, I finally decided to act on it. But I didn't know what I really wanted, where to look, what I was looking for, and most importantly, how it worked. I started taking acting classes at a nerby community college, where I got the lowdown on how to be a movie extra. How it was done. The Headshot. The Resume. A direction to start in.

My first hollywood project was a Dawson's Creek spinoff called "Young Americans." I worked one day, in Havre De Grace, MD. The show lasted six or seven episodes as a mid-summer filler, and was never brought back. Future stars Kate Bosworth (Superman Returns) and Ian Somerhalder (Lost) were part of the show, back in their starting out days. I was booked for the West Wing a few months later, thanks to another extra I met on a low-bduget. And by then, I had a pretty good handle on the extra business. The rest is history. Joined Sag in the last two weeks 0f 2003, and that was the divider between my years in the industry. B.C. and A.D. Pre-Sag. Post-Sag. Pretty important distinction for those looking to get started.

When you start, first know that you want to be an extra. Really want to. Because the idea that movies are tinsel and magic is false. It can be boring, tiring, painful, and relentless. There will be hours on end where you sit (or stand) doing nothing. There will be times where you're wearing a hevay wool jacket on a 90% day or a light shortsleeve shirt in the middle of january. There will be shoots that aren't that fun, and there will be shoots where you sit in holding all day and are never used. You are, aptly described, walking props. That's what you want. That is extra work.

Haven't scared you off yet? Good. Because it is fun too, and amazing to be a part of the machinery, and see how it is done. If it's right for you, you'll feel the passion to be there, no matter how the shoot is going.

So, now that you still want to, you need a recent picture. This will suffice until you get a headshot. There are photographers who advertise on the web, who specialize in headshots. Next, a resume. Any acting work, high school play, whatever. Until you can build up your resume.

The work you will find will be non-union, which is not going to pay as much until you become Union (SAG). Extra casting calls can be found on several websites. Some of the best are http://www.castingnetworks.com/ (New York), http://www.aftrasagdcbalt.com/, and www.actroscenter.org. The internet is a very valuable resource for casting information, headshot photographer, and actor resources. Feel free to explore. I did.

To wrap it up, you do extra work by mailing in your picture, and going to local casting calls for movies, and the internet is invaluable to doing that. When that first call comes, say yes, and break a leg!

No comments: